Put away the tablets and switch of the television. It is time to have some good old-fashioned fun with your children. Not only will this create an opportunity for parents to bond with their children and spend quality time with them, it will also bring out your child’s inner ‘Picasso’. Grab the kids, the scissors, paint and boxes and get ready to get arty.
This is a very fun activity for everyone and not very difficult to make! Mom and Dad can help with the more difficult tasks such as cutting out the fish and other sea animals.
What you will need:
- Any size box, but it will work better if the box is bigger than a shoebox. This will be the background for your ocean scene.
- Mid blue, grey and Aquamarine Acrylic paint.
- A large paintbrush.
- Small rocks and shells (if you have any lying around)
- Green pipe cleaners or green cardboard to make seaweed.
- Thread to hang sea animals from the box.
- Old magazines or books to cut out sea animals and a sea back ground to paste on your blue background.
- Thin cardboard to glue to the back of your sea animals.
- All purpose glue
How to make it:
- Paint the inside of your box with the mid blue paint and use a little bit of the aquamarine paint in between to create the ocean effect.
- Paint the outside of your box with the grey paint and let it dry.
- Cut out a sea background from an old magazine or book and paste it to the back of your ‘ocean’ box on the inside.
- Cut out pictures of sea life traced from colouring-in books, found on the Internet or in old magazines and glue the back of the pictures to the thin cardboard. Cut out and colour in with the crayons.
- Make small holes in the top side of your box and in your sea-life cut-outs. Feed the thread through and hang your sea creatures from the box.
- Cut out your seaweed from green cardboard and paste it to the bottom of your box or use green pipe cleaners to make seaweed and also glue them to your background.
- Glue any small stones and shells to the bottom of the box.
This craft shouldn’t take more than three hours to make and it will keep everyone entertained!