Crafts are great way to keep kids out of the midday sun without them complaining that they’re bored. A fish theme is ideal for summer and little ones can have loads of fun playing with their toilet roll fish after they’ve decorated them.
All you need to make these cute fish are toilet rolls, paint and googly eyes. We’ve painted ours in different colours, but you can also use different bits and pieces of paper to decorate them. You might have to help your little one with the cutting, but after that, he can decorate his fish however he wants to.
What you’ll need
- Toilet rolls
- Paint and brushes
- Googly eyes and glue
- Bits and pieces of paper to decorate.
How to make the fish
- Paint the toilet roll and allow to dry or cut out and fold the fish first before painting and decorating it.
- Flatten the toilet roll by pressing down on it and creating two neat folds along the top and bottom.
- Cut two 45-degree slits at the bottom and angle towards the centre to create the tail.
- Fold inwards from the slits at a 45-degree angle on both sides.
- Unfold the slits, turn the toilet roll over and repeat on the other side.
- Pop the folds inside the roll.
- Cut the front end of the toilet roll into a round shape to make it into a fish.
- Let your little one paint and decorate his fish.
- Add googly eyes and a mouth.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.