Bobotie is always a winner! We show you how to make the most amazing bobotie in a flash. It’s a winning dinner recipe!
*Serves 4 – 6
- 1 piece of Sasko Everyday/Low GI White Bread
- 250ml milk
- 2tbsp oil
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 2tbsp garlic & ginger paste
- ½tsp salt
- 1tbsp sugar
- 1tsp turmeric
- 1tbsp medium strength curry powder
- 1tbsp garam masala
- 500g mince
- 1tbsp tomato paste
- 2tbsp apricot chutney
- 1tbsp white vinegar
- 60ml raisins (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 3 bay leaves
- Rice and chutney to serve
How to make the bobotie
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Soak the bread in the milk.
- Fry the onions in a little bit of oil until translucent (about 5 min).
- Add the garlic and ginger, salt, sugar and all of the spices and fry for a minute or two.
- Add the mince and fry until browned (about 5 – 8min).
- Squeeze the excess milk from the bread (Keep the left over milk aside for later).
- Break the bread apart and add to the mince along with the tomato paste, chutney, vinegar and raisins.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the stove and transfer to a small oven proof dish.
- Stir together the remaining milk and eggs and pour over the mince.
- Top with Bay leaves and bake in the oven for approx 35 minutes until the topping is set and just browned.
- Serve your bobotie with rice and chutney.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.