You can never go wrong with pecan pie for dessert. We show how to make the perfect pie with just a couple of ingredients in this easy recipe.
For the pastry
- 1 cup of cake flour
- A pinch of salt
- Cup of cold butter, cut into small cubes
- ½ tbsp caster sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tsp ice water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
For the filling
- 3 extra-large eggs
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 80ml golden syrup
- ¾ cup pecan nut halves
- Sieve together the flour and salt.
- Using your fingertips, rub the blocks of cold butter into the flour until crumbly.
- Add the caster sugar to the flour and mix the egg yolk, water and lemon juice together to combine.
- Knead the dough for about 10 minutes, wrap in cling film and let it chill in the fridge for about an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Roll out the dough using a roller and line a 23cm loose-bottomed greased pie tin, making sure to line the edges as well. Prick the base of the pastry with a fork and blind bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- While the pastry is in the oven, beat the eggs and add the melted butter, brown sugar, vanilla essence and golden syrup while mixing. When the mixture becomes foamy, it’s ready.
- Arrange the nuts in the pastry case, and pour the sweet egg mixture over the top.
- Bake for about 40 minutes.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.