A corn dog is a sausage (usually a hot dog) coated in a thick layer of cornmeal batter on a stick.
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 6 Vienna sausages or frankfurters, cut in half
- 12 popsicle sticks or wooden skewers
For the batter
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup corn flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup to ¾ cup milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a deep pot or fryer, pour the vegetable oil to a depth of 10cm and heat the oil.
- Slide each half hot dog on to the popsicle sticks or skewers.
- In a bowl, combine all the batter ingredients and whisk.
- Pour the batter in a long glass. Dip each sausage stick into the batter to completely cover the hot dog.
- Carefully place the hot dogs into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown,
- Drain on paper towels.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.