Chef Anita Faku of Capsicum Culinary Studio’s Pretoria campus shares her cheesy and creamy mac ‘n cheese recipe. The secret, she says, is the addition of sour cream, which gives it a delicious tang.
- 500g macaroni
- 500ml mozzarella cheese (keep a handful aside for the topping)
- 500ml cheddar cheese (keep a handful aside for the topping)
- 125ml sour cream
- 113g butter
- 125ml flour
- 1 litre milk
- Salt and pepper
- Bring a pot of water to the boil, add salt and a dash of cooking oil. Add your macaroni and allow to cook until al dente.
- In a separate pot, start melting your butter and slowly add flour once the butter is melted. Whisk the butter and flour mixture into a paste and slowly add milk. Keep whisking until the mixture is smooth and starts to thicken (do not allow lumps to form). Season with salt and pepper and add the cheeses to the white sauce (keeping some aside for the topping).
- Once melted, take off the heat.
- Combine your cooked macaroni with your cheese sauce, add the sour cream to give it a tangy taste.
- Transfer the mixture to a baking dish and top with a generous serving of cheddar cheese and mozzarella.
- Bake for 10 mins at 180°C or until the cheese has melted on top.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.