There’s no better antidote to a cold winter’s night than a comforting bowl of soup. This comforting chicken variety has a lush and creamy consistency, with its flavour further enhanced by crisp fennel shavings. Plus, a creamy chicken soup will do wonders for a cold!
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 leeks, finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup cream
- Salt and white pepper
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced into thin strips
- Shaved fennel, to garnish
- Olive oil, to drizzle
- Melt the butter in a casserole dish over a medium heat. Gently fry the leeks until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, then add the potatoes and chicken stock. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are soft, add the cream.
- Blend the soup in a blender in batches. Season and heat through.
- Poach the chicken strips gently in simmering water until pale and cooked through.
- Serve the soup with the poached chicken strips, shaved fennel, a drizzle of olive oil and white pepper to taste.
Xanet is an award-winning journalist and Living and Loving’s digital editor. She has won numerous awards for her health and wellness articles and was a finalist for the Discovery Journalist of the Year in 2009 and again in 2011 for the Discovery Best Health Consumer Reporting and Feature Writing category. She is responsible for our online presence across social media channels and makes sure our moms have fresh and interesting articles to read every day. Learn more about Xanet Scheepers.