Instead of hiding chocolate eggs and bunnies for this year’s Easter egg hunt, make these cute biscuits and package them in little bags or boxes.
- 125g butter, softened
- ½ cup caster sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl until pale and creamy. Add the egg and mix until well combined. Sift the flour and baking powder over the butter mixture. Add the milk and stir until just combined.
- Using one heaped tablespoon of mixture at a time, roll the mixture into balls and place on baking trays.
- Using the heel of your hand, flatten the biscuits slightly (allow room for spreading). Don’t forget to make smaller “balls” for feet. Use a teaspoon to scoop out the small balls.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, swapping the trays over in the oven after 10 minutes, or until light golden. Allow the biscuits to cool on the trays for 5 minutes. Then transfer onto wire racks to cool completely.
To make the bunny bottoms
- Frost 1 whole cookie slice and 2 bunny feet. (We used Pillsbury ready-made frosting.)
- Place the bunny feet on the bottom of the cookie.
- Place 1 marshmallow or pink jelly sweet in the centre of each cookie to resemble the tail.
- Decorate the bunny paws with candy sprinkles. Then repeat with the remaining cookie slices and bunny feet.
Xanet is an award-winning journalist and Living and Loving’s digital editor. She has won numerous awards for her health and wellness articles and was a finalist for the Discovery Journalist of the Year in 2009 and again in 2011 for the Discovery Best Health Consumer Reporting and Feature Writing category. She is responsible for our online presence across social media channels and makes sure our moms have fresh and interesting articles to read every day. Learn more about Xanet Scheepers.