Explore the deep blue without leaving your home with this birthday party inspired by the Finding Dory movie. It’s the perfect celebration idea for the warm summer weather.
Décor ideas for a Finding Dory-inspired party
- Decorate the scene in ocean-inspired colours of blue and white.
- Hang bunting and use blue fabric for tablecloths.
- Fishing nets make the perfect backdrop and table decoration.
- Bring out all those seashells you have collected from your holidays and scatter them on the tables.
- A large fish cut out from cardboard and painted is fun to make and provides bold impact.
- Crates not only add height to the table, where food can be placed, but also create a nautical look.
- Add a little Dory wisdom on a chalkboard with quotes from the movie.
- Spread out on the grass with comfy cushions and blankets on which to sit.
- Make your own jellyfish to hang in the garden. Use Chinese lanterns or paper pom-poms as the head and crepe paper or streamers as the long tendrils.
What to eat
- Label food on the table with chalkboards and serve snacks on fish-shaped plates or glass “fish bowls” (jars and glass bowls will do).
- Sprinkle a little coloured desiccated coconut on your treats table to create the effect of sand.
- You will easily find sea-themed sweets and treats at your local supermarket – from marshmallow fish to sea-creature gummies – but you can also get creative. Pretzels and Chinese crackers make great “fish bait” and white-chocolate covered peanuts serve as “fish eggs”.
- If you have the time, ice cupcakes and top with fondant or toy sea creatures, and bake starfish biscuits, using a star-shaped cookie cutter.
- Transform your juice dispenser into Dory by cutting out eyes and fins from cardboard and sticking them onto the container with Prestik. Fill the dispenser with “sea water” – a clear drink of your choice, such as lemonade, and blue food colouring.
- Look out for Finding Dory-themed juice cartons at your local supermarket.
Thank you gifts
- Blow bubbles during the party and let the kids take home any unused bottles. Finding Dory and Nemo-themed bubbles are available from Woolworths, CNA and West Pack Lifestyle.
- Grow-your-own sea creatures are available at most toy shops and make for fun bath times after the party.
Giant cardboard fish, tablecloths, scatter cushions, fish nets and seashells, all from Pro Décor (011 787 5900, [email protected]).
Bunting, juice dispenser, lanterns, pom-poms, sweet jars, chalkboards, food labels, cake stand and paper cups and straws, all from Functions with Flaire (082 570 3284, [email protected])
Cake, cupcakes, cake pops, biscuits and macaroons, all from Annica’s Designer Cakes (011 326 1526, annicas.co.za [email protected])