Tired of serving oatmeal or bacon and eggs for breakfast? Spice things up a little this weekend with this yummy frittata recipe.
- 10ml oil
- 15ml butter
- 250g button mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 5 spring onions
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 125g streaky bacon, grilled and diced
- 2 medium potatoes, cooked
- 100g Gruyére cheese, grated
- 6 to 8 eggs
- Salt and milled black pepper
- Crispy bacon
- Fried mushrooms
- Rocket salad
- Preheat the oven to 190° Heat the oil and butter in a pan and fry the mushrooms for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the spring onions and red pepper and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the bacon, potatoes and cheese. Gently combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a well-greased tin or ovenproof round casserole. Whisk the eggs together and season well with salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture over the mushroom mixture and bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the centre is just cooked.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes before unmoulding or slicing from the tin. Serve warm or at room temperature, topped with extra crispy bacon, fried mushrooms and a rocket salad if you are serving this for lunch.
*Recipe by South African Mushroom Farmers’ Association