Tired of serving oatmeal or bacon and eggs for breakfast? Spice things up a little this weekend with this yummy frittata recipe.
- 10ml oil
- 15ml butter
- 250g button mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 5 spring onions
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 125g streaky bacon, grilled and diced
- 2 medium potatoes, cooked
- 100g Gruyére cheese, grated
- 6 to 8 eggs
- Salt and milled black pepper
- Crispy bacon
- Fried mushrooms
- Rocket salad
- Preheat the oven to 190° Heat the oil and butter in a pan and fry the mushrooms for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the spring onions and red pepper and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the bacon, potatoes and cheese. Gently combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a well-greased tin or ovenproof round casserole. Whisk the eggs together and season well with salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture over the mushroom mixture and bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the centre is just cooked.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes before unmoulding or slicing from the tin. Serve warm or at room temperature, topped with extra crispy bacon, fried mushrooms and a rocket salad if you are serving this for lunch.
*Recipe by South African Mushroom Farmers’ Association
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.