If your little one has a sweet tooth, spoil him with this yummy peanut butter and chocolate treat. By Margie Els-Burger and Nomvuselelo MnCube
These peanut butter bars contain quite a bit of sugar so don’t let your kids have too many of these yummy treats at once.
Ingredients for the base
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ¾ cup icing sugar
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 200g packet pretzels, finely crushed
For the topping
- 200g milk chocolate, chopped
- ¼ cup smooth peanut butter
For the ladybugs
- 40g packet Smarties
- Black and white edible gel pens or royal icing
- 25 pretzels
- 80g red candy melts chocolate
- For the base, line a 23cm square tin with baking paper, leaving 2cm overhangs for easy removal. Beat together all the ingredients. Press into an even layer in the prepared pan.
- For the topping, heat the chocolate and peanut butter in the microwave for about 1½ minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until melted and smooth. Pour onto the base and spread into an even layer.
- Refrigerate for about 30 minutes until firm.
- For the ladybugs, pipe eyes onto 25 Smarties using the black and white pens or icing. Space the pretzels evenly over the bar.
- Heat chocolate in the microwave for about 1½ minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until melted. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a small round nozzle.
- Pipe into about 5 pretzels and add a Smartie to the wider parts before the chocolate sets. Repeat with the rest. Pipe black dots and a line through the middle onto the bodies. Refrigerate for at least an hour until set. Slice into 25 bars.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.