This mini vetkoek recipe is perfect for party finger food, or as a quick light lunch.
- 360 g flour
- 1×10 g sachet yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3/4 cup lukewarm water
- Canola oil for frying
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the water a little at a time, mixing with a wooden spoon until a wet dough forms.
- Knead the dough in the bowl for 5 minutes, until it springs back if you press it with your finger.
- Cover the bowl with cling wrap and allow the dough to rise for 30–45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Heat canola oil in a saucepan on medium heat.
- Knock the dough back and divide into 16 equal-sized vetkoek.
- Gently drop 4 vetkoek into the oil and cover the saucepan with a lid.
- This allows them to partially steam while frying.
- Cook for 2 minutes, or until golden on one side, then turn and cook the other side.
- When cooked through and golden, remove the vetkoek from the oil and drain on kitchen paper.
- Fill with savoury mince – or simply with cheese and jam.