With the summer stone fruit season coming to an end, soon those ripe peaches, plums and nectarines will not be around, but there is still a sure-fire way for you to enjoy some fruity goodness.
Preserving is a great way to get your daily dose of fruit. Try this yummy peach and jalapeno jelly.
- 5kg peeled, de-stoned and finely chopped peaches (we used yellow cling)
- 2kg finely diced onions
- 6 cups brown sugar
- Juice of 3 lemons
- 1 cup grape vinegar
- 3 tsp garlic paste
- 14 jalapeno chilies, seeds removed and finely chopped (use a mixture of green and red) – 3 of them with the seeds.
- 3 tsp grated ginger
- Salt to taste
- Cook half the peaches and all the ingredients together in a large stainless steel pot for at least 3 hours, stirring regularly to prevent sticking.
- When thick, add the remainder of the diced peaches. Cook for about ½ hour longer or until thick.
- Pour into sterilised bottles
To sterilise the bottles:
- Rinse in hot water and place empty into a microwave for 5 minutes on high.
- Place lids in boiling water and dry thoroughly.
- Store in a cool, dark place
- Can last up to a year unopened
- Ready to eat in about 10 days
- Store in fridge after opening
- Great with cheese, curries and cold meats.
Recipe by Carla Bryan – Udderly Delicious Darling