Yes, we know you’re trying to get your body beach ready, but your family’s mouths are practically drooling for a little carbs by now. Surprise them with these yummy fried pap balls with a creamy Nola centre.
- 2 ½ cups maize meal
- 3 cups water
- ½ cup milk
- 3 tbsp butter
- ½ cup Nola Original Mayonnaise
- ½ cup grated cheese
- Finely chopped parsley
- ½ onion, diced
- Diced red pepper
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- Oil, for deep-frying
- Salt and pepper seasoning
- Bring the water to boil in a large saucepan.
- Add 1 cup maize meal and stir into water until mixed, cover and let it simmer for 6 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add an additional 1 cup of maize meal and mix together.
- Add the milk, parsley, onion, red pepper and mix again.
- If the mixture is still soft, add the remaining maize meal and let it cook over a slow heat with the pot covered.
- Remove the lid and repeatedly mash the pap against the side of the saucepan for approximately 2 minutes to get rid of any lumps.
- Cook for a further 5-10 minutes.
- Add the cheese and 2 tbsp Nola Original Mayonnaise
- If the pap is a bit too dry, add a little more water and stir again.
- Add the butter and stir. Transfer into a bowl to cool down.
- Roll the pap mixture into balls. Create a small hole and stuff the pap balls with Nola Original Mayonnaise before sealing the hole.
- Dip each pap ball into the beaten egg mixture and then roll in the breadcrumbs.
- Bring the oil to the boil and deep-fry the pap balls for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with a rich tomato onion gravy, ox liver or grilled wors.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.