Make these corn dogs to serve at your next party. The kids will love them. Serve with tomato sauce and mustard. By Noeleen Foster
A corn dog is a sausage (usually a hot dog) coated in a thick layer of cornmeal batter on a stick.
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 6 Vienna sausages or frankfurters, cut in half
- 12 popsicle sticks or wooden skewers
For the batter
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup corn flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup to ¾ cup milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a deep pot or fryer, pour the vegetable oil to a depth of 10cm and heat the oil.
- Slide each half hot dog on to the popsicle sticks or skewers.
- In a bowl, combine all the batter ingredients and whisk.
- Pour the batter in a long glass. Dip each sausage stick into the batter to completely cover the hot dog.
- Carefully place the hot dogs into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown,
- Drain on paper towels.
Xanet is an award-winning journalist and Living and Loving’s digital editor. She has won numerous awards for her health and wellness articles and was a finalist for the Discovery Journalist of the Year in 2009 and again in 2011 for the Discovery Best Health Consumer Reporting and Feature Writing category. She is responsible for our online presence across social media channels and makes sure our moms have fresh and interesting articles to read every day. Learn more about Xanet Scheepers.