Noeleen Foster shares a fabulous family fudge recipe.
- 125g Butter or full-fat baking margarine
- 1 tin condensed milk
- 1 cup water
- 6 cups white sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- In a large thick-base pot, melt the butter, sugar, condensed milk, cream of tartar and water over low heat.
- Brush down crystals on the side of the pot to ensure that all the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and let it simmer for 20 -25 minutes. Stir occasionally, so that it doesn’t burn.
- Test for soft-ball stage (if you submerge a teaspoon of fudge in water, you should be able to roll it into a ball after you’ve taken it out.)
- Remove from heat; add the vanilla essence and beat until the fudge is thick
- Pour fudge into a buttered 40cm x 30cm shallow pan.
- Cut into blocks when fudge is still warm.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.