- 125g Butter or full-fat baking margarine
- 1 tin condensed milk
- 1 cup water
- 6 cups white sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- In a large thick-base pot, melt the butter, sugar, condensed milk, cream of tartar and water over low heat.
- Brush down crystals on the side of the pot to ensure that all the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and let it simmer for 20 -25 minutes. Stir occasionally, so that it doesn’t burn.
- Test for soft-ball stage (if you submerge a teaspoon of fudge in water, you should be able to roll it into a ball after you’ve taken it out.)
- Remove from heat; add the vanilla essence and beat until the fudge is thick
- Pour fudge into a buttered 40cm x 30cm shallow pan.
- Cut into blocks when fudge is still warm.