Nothing says comfort food like a homemade chilli con carne. Try this easy recipe.
Nothing beats a delicious chilli con carne or soup on a cold, windy day. Make this easy recipe for dinner tonight, or check out our winter soups here if you feel like something a little lighter.
- 15ml oil
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small red chilli, finely sliced
- 2-5ml cayenne pepper (according to taste)
- 5ml ground cumin
- 3ml ground cinnamon
- 250g lean beef mince
- 250g button mushrooms, sliced
- 30ml tomato paste
- 410g chopped tomatoes
- 500ml beef stock
- Salt and milled black pepper
- 400g red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Cooked white rice
- Finely diced toppings: tomato, red onion and avocado
- Fresh coriander leaves
- Heat the oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes until soft.
- Stir in the garlic, chilli, cayenne pepper, cumin and cinnamon and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the mince, stirring, for 5-7 minutes, or until the meat is browned.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste, chopped tomatoes and beef stock.
- Season with salt and pepper and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 35 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with white rice, diced toppings and coriander leaves (optional).
Xanet is an award-winning journalist and Living and Loving’s digital editor. She has won numerous awards for her health and wellness articles and was a finalist for the Discovery Journalist of the Year in 2009 and again in 2011 for the Discovery Best Health Consumer Reporting and Feature Writing category. She is responsible for our online presence across social media channels and makes sure our moms have fresh and interesting articles to read every day. Learn more about Xanet Scheepers.