Don’t know what to make for dinner tonight? Here’s our round-up of the yummiest chicken recipes the whole family will enjoy.
Treat your family to one of these delicious chicken dishes for dinner.
Grilled chicken stuffed with spinach and feta
- 400g chicken breast, raw
- 100g onion
- 120g reduced-fat feta cheese
- 300g spinach
- 20ml Weigh-Less Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Carefully cut a slit into one side of the chicken breast. Work your knife into the breast, forming a pocket.
- Heat 5ml of the olive oil in a large pan and cook the sliced onion and finely shredded spinach until soft, season and squeeze out excess moisture.
- Crumble the feta into the cooled spinach and mix well. Stuff the chicken pockets with the spinach mixture and close the chicken with a toothpick.
- Grill on a hot grill and baste the chicken with olive oil.
Chicken a’La King
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 550g chicken, light meat, cooked weight
- 400g mushrooms
- 140g frozen peas
- 90g peppadews
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 375ml skim milk
- 3 tbsp cake flour
- 150ml water
- 10ml Weigh-Less Virgin Olive Oil
- Fry the sliced mushrooms and garlic in a large pan with the olive oil until soft and brown, set aside.
- Combine the flour with a bit of the milk, and mix well to form a smooth paste.
- Add a further 100ml of the milk to the paste and stir again removing all the lumps.
- Pour the paste into a large pot with the remaining milk, water and the chicken stock.
- Stir the mixture constantly until it becomes thick and creamy.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stir well and serve.
Everyone has a variation of this recipe. To make it lower in fat, but still yummy, we used yoghurt instead of mayonnaise.
*Recipe from Catherine Harvey
*Serves 4 – 6
- 6-8 chicken portions e.g. drumsticks and thighs, skin and all fat removed
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 cup plain low-fat yoghurt
- ½ cup chutney
- ½ cup orange juice or rooibos tea
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp cornflour, mixed with water to make a paste
- Preheat oven to 180 °C.
- Place the chicken and onion in an oven dish.
- Mix the yoghurt, chutney, juice, salt and cornflour paste together and pour over the chicken.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown and cooked.
- Serve with small portions of brown rice or mashed potatoes and broccoli and carrots.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.