These recipes require little time in the kitchen, but pack a big flavour punch. By Margie Els-Burger and Nomvuselelo MnCube
You don’t have to spend hours in the kitchen to prepare a delicious meal for your family. These dinner recipes are super quick to make and the kids will love them.
- 6 small wholewheat or plain wraps
- 1 cup tomato purée
- 1 small carrot, peeled and finely grated
- 1 tsp dried oregano (optional)
- 3 cups mozzarella, grated
- 2 sausages of your choice, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Place the wraps on a baking tray and bake for about 5 minutes until crisp.
- Heat the tomato purée, carrot and oregano on medium-high for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the pizza bases with the tomato sauce and sprinkle with cheese. Top with sausages.
Bake under a hot grill for about 5 minutes until the cheese is bubbling. Serve topped with avocado.
- Kids will enjoy sausages like frankfurters or cooked boerewors.
- For an adult version, try chorizo and scatter over rocket and peppadews.
- Use a vegetable peeler to make trendy avo shavings.
Chicken nuggets and rainbow chips
- 2 orange sweet potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 2 red sweet potatoes
- 250ml cake flour
- 10ml ground paprika
- 4 chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 500ml fresh breadcrumbs
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Sweet chilli sauce, hummus or guacamole, to serve
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Cut all the veggies (with or without skins) into about 7mm thick chips. Keep in cold water after cutting to prevent discolouration. Drain well.
- Mix a splash of oil through the veggies and pack in a single layer on a tray. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, turning halfway, until golden and cooked.
- Meanwhile, beat the chicken cubes flatter. Combine the flour and paprika. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and coat in the flour. Shake off excess flour.
- Dip the chicken in batches in the egg and then into the breadcrumbs, pressing to stick. Place apart on a greased baking tray. Repeat with the rest. Drizzle over a little oil.
- Place above the veggies in the oven when you turn them and bake for about 20 minutes, turning halfway until cooked.
- Serve with sweet chilli sauce, hummus or guacamole.
Xanet is an award-winning journalist and Living and Loving’s digital editor. She has won numerous awards for her health and wellness articles and was a finalist for the Discovery Journalist of the Year in 2009 and again in 2011 for the Discovery Best Health Consumer Reporting and Feature Writing category. She is responsible for our online presence across social media channels and makes sure our moms have fresh and interesting articles to read every day. Learn more about Xanet Scheepers.