The ICEA is a professional, non-profit organisation, which was established in 1960 to support educators and health care professionals who believe in the freedom to make decisions based on knowledge of alternatives in family-centred maternity and newborn care,
The comprehensive, three-day workshops will be facilitated by President-Elect for the ICEA, Bonita Katz, RN ICCE, IAT, ICD, Lactations Specialist (Evergreen Hospital) from the US.
The dates, time and venues for the workshops in South Africa are as follows:
ICEA workshops in Johannesburg
- Childbirth Educator workshop: 4-6 November
- Birth Doula workshop: 9-11 November
- Venue: Genesis Maternity Clinic, 5 Northwold Drive, Saxonwold
- Time: 9am-5pm
ICEA workshops in Cape Town
- Childbirth Educator workshop: 19-21 November
- Time: 9am-5pm
- Birth Doula workshop: 22-23 November (condensed workshop from 0830 to 17h00 daily)
- Venue: Origin™ Family-Centred Maternity Hospital, Panorama Health Care Centre, Corner Hennie Winterbach Street and Rothschild Boulevard, Panorama
Should you wish to pursue Certification, an additional fee is required as follows:
- ICCE – R380
- ICD – R588
The ICEA Childbirth Educator workshop includes the following elements:
- Teaching skills
- Evidence-based teaching
- Curriculum development
- Teaching labour stages
- Unexpected outcomes
- Caesarean and VBAC
- Postpartum and breastfeeding
- Medical interventions
The ICEA Doula Workshop will include the following:
- Scope of practice and self-care
- Female reproductive anatomy
- Informed decision making
- Birth plans/the unexpected
- Processes of labour (all stages)
- Comfort techniques, positions, breathing, relaxation, coping skills
- Hospital initiatives, breastfeeding initiation, maternal changes
- Mood disorders/traumatised births/Caesarean and VBAC
The cost of both the Childbirth Education workshop and the Birth Doula workshop is R2 500 for non-ICEA members and R2 250 for ICEA members. This includes lunches and refreshments during the workshop, workshop materials, a one-year membership enrolment to ICEA if you’re not already enrolled and a gift pack donated by sponsors of the workshops. It excludes the cost for Certification (see above for the fee). The condensed doula workshop in Cape Town is R1,660 plus fee for Certification, if you are pursuing it.
The one-year membership through ICEA allows you to stay up-to-date on the latest evidence-based research, trends, news, and information in the field.
Booking closes on 25 October 2018, so email [email protected] for a booking form without delay. Spaces are limited and will be based on a first come, first served basis.
For more information about the ICEA and its philosophy, visit www.icea.org.