Celebrities are often seen promoting the benefits of belly wrapping after giving birth. However, it isn’t an overnight fix for a postpartum belly.
Some traditional methods involve physically wrapping the belly in material. Other methods include a ready-made belly belt fitted with Velcro to adjust the belt around the abdominal area.
Benefits of using a belly wrap:
- Supports lower back
- Creates good posture especially with C-Section mommies
- Promotes good blood circulation to assist with healing
- Helps the stomach’s natural ability to compress back into shape
- Promotes less water retention
- Assists with the tightening of loose skin
Things to consider:
- Speak to your midwife, doula or gynecologist before purchasing a belly wrap.
- Remember it is not a quick fix gimmick to fit back into your jeans. The benefits are greater than that.
- Stick to the commitment of a belly wrap for up to at least 6 weeks.
Belly wraps on the market
Belly Wrap Comfort Abdominal Binder, from R490
Available online from www.bellywrap.co.za.
AbdoMend Hem-It-In Belt, R1 575
Available online from wantitall.co.za.
Cherished Belly Belt, from R465
Medal Tummy Tucker Post Pregnancy Belt, R545
Available from Clicks.
Belly Bandit, R756.54
Available from www.babyandme.co.za.
Carriwell Belly Binder, from R519
Available in black and nude from takealot.com.
Goodbye Belly Wrap, from R540 – R560
This adjustable belly wrap is available in black and beige from www.goodbyebelly.co.za.
“I wore a belly binder several days after I gave birth to my daughter. My gynaecologist is a firm believer in the practice and I found that it helped me heal faster after my C-section.
It assisted with my posture, so I was forced to walk up straight while I was still in hospital and it helped soothe the discomfort of the incision. It empowered me to walk around comfortably and I found it easy to breastfeed with the belly binder and I wore it for six weeks under clothing.
I purchased the Carriwell Belly Binder. It works well and fits snuggly under clothing. It is durable and easy to wash,” says mom Nikita Camacho.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.