5 things you should know about hair loss after pregnancy

You had beautiful thick, shiny hair during your pregnancy, but since you’ve had your baby, you’re shedding so much hair, you think you might go bald soon. Here’s what you need to know about postpartum hair loss.

5-things-you-should-know-about-hair-loss-after-pregnancy.jpg

Not all moms-to-be experience lush hair growth during pregnancy. In fact, many women report hair loss during pregnancy, and after the birth of their baby. While they may not realise it, most women actually lose a small amount of hair when expecting.

ALSO SEE: 5 common skin changes during pregnancy and how to treat them

Here’s what you need to know about hair loss after pregnancy:

It’s common

 No, you are not suffering from some weird disease. Postpartum hair loss affects 40-50% of women, according to the American Pregnancy Association.

Your hair enters a resting phase during pregnancy

About 90% of your hair is growing at any one time, while the other 10% is in a resting phase. Every two or three months, the resting hair falls out and new hair grows in its place. During pregnancy, the increased levels of oestrogen in your body “freezes” the hair in the resting phase, resulting in thicker hair.

You’ll only start losing hair three months after giving birth

The most common period for hair loss is about three months after giving birth, according to the American Pregnancy Association. “After you give birth, your oestrogen levels go back to normal and all the hair that was ‘resting’ starts to fall out all at once,” explains Dr Joanne Stone, an obstetrician/gynae at Mount Sinai Medical Center in the US and co-author of Pregnancy for Dummies.

It can take up to one year for your hair to grow back

 “You should regain your normal hair growth by your child’s first birthday, if not sooner,” according to the American Academy of Dermatology. If your hair doesn’t regain its normal fullness after one year, speak to a dermatologist. There may be something else that’s causing your hair to fall out.

There’s nothing you can do to prevent it

 The bad news is that there’s not much you can do to prevent hair loss, but there are steps you can take for your hair to regrow back to its former glory:

  • Follow a healthy diet and take a prenatal vitamin.
  • Try not to use a blow-dryer or straightening iron until the shedding stops.
  • Only wash your hair when necessary and use a wide-toothed comb to minimise tangling.

ALSO SEE: Prenatal vitamins: What you really need

scroll to top
Send this to a friend