Let’s face it – if there is one vegetable that is super versatile and adds a delicious, healthy punch to any meal, it is the mushroom. Preliminary evidence suggests that mushrooms may support healthy immune response, lower inflammation and, through interaction with the gut microbiota, improved immune cell functionality. In other words, mushrooms are very good for you!
Yes, we know kids can be very picky when it comes to what you put on their plate, but we have a secret – the mushrooms are blended into these yummy fish cakes. This means your little one will get all the nutritious benefits mushrooms have to offer without even knowing it!
- 250g fish, steamed and flaked
- 250g button mushrooms, chopped and pan fried
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 small potato, cooked, peeled and diced
- 1 egg
- Oil for frying
For the adults:
- 50ml Greek yoghurt
- 20ml mayonnaise
- 10ml lemon juice
- Lemon to serve
- In a bowl, mix the fish, mushrooms, onion, potato and egg together. Season with salt and pepper. Form cakes with your hands and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry cakes on both sides until golden and cooked through.
- Place onto kitchen towelling to drain and serve
For the adults:
- In a small bowl mix the yoghurt, mayonnaise and lemon juice together.
- Serve the fish cakes with the sauce and the fresh lemon.
Cooks tip: Always use reputable fisheries that use fish which is sustainable. Never use fish off the red and orange lists of endangered species.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.