In order to thrive during pregnancy and grow a healthy baby, we need to feel as healthy as possible. How do we achieve this? Homeopathic medicine is a good solution. It;s not only safe to use during all stages of pregnancy and breastfeeding, but one that’s effective in treating all the pregnancy niggles. Homeopathy is the ideal system of medicine to achieve this aim.
Homeopathic medicine explained
Homeopathy is an ancient system of medicine in which the specifically chosen or prescribed medication stimulates a patient’s immune system to respond appropriately to an invading organism or assist the body’s normal feedback systems to return to a healthy, functional level. So instead of treating the symptoms, you look at what’s causing the problem.
A diluted solution
A medicine that’s classified as ‘natural’, is not necessarily safe to use in pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Homeopathy is often associated with herbal medicine, yet they aren’t the same at all. Herbal medication is as pharmacologically active as any conventional medication, whereas homeopathic medication is made in a process of serial dilution and secussion, and this minimum dose approach rarely causes adverse side-effects.
What homeopathic medicine can pregnant women take?
Since homeopathic medication is safe throughout pregnancy and breastfeeding, it’s virtually a risk-free solution for all of those pregnancy-induced conditions. Clinical Homeopath Dr Jacquelyn Schultz explains that there are certain remedies that you can try for the following pregnancy discomforts.
• Sepia 30CH – for heavy, downward sensations in the stomach where you experience an ineffectual urge to pass a stool that often looks like large nuts or ‘bokdrolletjies’.
• Nux Vom 30CH – for a constant ineffectual desire to pass a stool, and when you do manage to go, you feel as if you’re not yet done. You may also experience loud, flatulent rumblings after eating.
• Opium 30CH – when there is no desire to pass a stool, but when you go, you produce small, hard, dark balls.
• Arsenicum Album – this works well for anxiety that’s particularly severe between the hours of 12am and 2am.
• Argentum Nitricum – this remedy is ideal for calming nerves leading up to an event such as giving birth. Ideally, consult a homeopathic practitioner who can examine your symptoms and devise a specific script for your symptoms with individualised doses.
For morning sickness and nausea
• Sepia – this helps with nausea especially at the sight and smell of food.
• Tabacum – reduces incessant nausea that escalates with certain smells like tobacco smoke, and vomiting.
• Nux Vomica – helps with irritability of the entire digestive system.
• Symphoricarpus Racemosa – a remedy for when there’s persistent vomiting.
• Arsenicum Album – this helps to soothe burning in the pit of the stomach and frequent vomiting that’s relieved by sipping water.
• Nature Carbonicum – ideal for moms-to-be who have a weak digestive system that’s aggravated by dairy products and when belching and joint pain is improved by eating.
For a runny nose or cold/flu symptoms
• Natrum Muriaticum – this remedy helps to treat the watery mucus that’s associated with sneezing, especially in the morning.
• Arsenicum Album – this is a great homeopathic remedy for clearing a blocked, stuffy nose and minimising the effects of constant sniffing and sneezing.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals.