During pregnancy and while breastfeeding, you will need a comfortable and well-fitting nursing bra.
What to look for when buying a nursing bra
- Straps: The bra straps should be set fairly wide apart and lie flat against your back.
- Support: A wide underband serves as a foundation for heavier, growing breasts. Nursing bras must have a fuller cup shape, deeper centre front and wider straps to provide support.
- Cups: A full cup gives the most support and creates a smooth look.
- Adjustable: Look for at least three hooks in the closure to ensure comfort throughout your pregnancy and while breastfeeding.
- Fabrics: Maternity bras are primarily made from natural fibres, such as cotton, which allow your skin to breathe. They usually have brushed elastic on the back, which feels soft against your skin.
- Fit: Measure yourself carefully or take advantage of an in-store assistant to help you ensure the best fit for your maternity bra.
Here’s a round-up of our favourite nursing bras
Playtex Soft Cup Feeding Bra
R329 for a pack of two, Edgars
This cotton feeding bra has no underwire, which allows for added comfort. This bra also features a laminated cup for additional support and a one-hand release clasp for easy nursing. It’s available in an affordable two pack.
Mama Microfibre Nursing Bra
Trimmed with pretty lace, this is a soft, non-wired nursing bra made of microfibre fabric. It has lightly padded cups with space to accommodate nursing pads. It features adjustable shoulder straps for maximum support and comfort.
Cotton Nursing Bras
R299 for a pack of two, Woolworths
Soft and comfortable while providing gentle support, these non-wire nursing bras are made of 100% cotton and have one-hand drop-down cups for easy feeding. The satin and lace trim adds a feminine touch. A two-pack provides great value.
R299, Kids Emporium
This seamless nursing bra offers easy feeding access for your baby, as it has clips to drop the cup. The bra has removable foam pads and easy one-hand release clasps. The ribbed gore stretches to accommodate bust size fluctuations that nursing moms experience.
Yummy Mummy Bamboo Nursing Bra
Made of bamboo for breathability and comfort, this soft bra is designed for one-handed use. The V-shape front and removable moulded cups offer a flattering silhouette under any outfit. It has a natural antibacterial agent to keep you odour free.
Carriwell Lace Drop Cup Nursing Bra
R488.95, Baby City and baby speciality stores
This has been designed specifically for nursing moms who want the comfort of a nursing bra without underwire, but enjoy the femininity of a lace bra. It has a one-hand release clasp for convenience.