These delicious meat-free recipes pack a protein punch, essential to keep you and your growing baby healthy. By Margie Els-Burger and Nomvuselelo Mncube
A healthy pregnancy diet will promote your baby’s growth and development. It’s important to include all the food groups in your eating plan. According to Mayo Clinic, you need 71g of protein a day during pregnancy as protein is crucial for your baby’s growth throughout pregnancy. Good sources of protein include: lean meat, poultry fish, eggs, beans and peas, nuts, seeds and soy products.
Sweet potato, avo and egg wraps
- 1 small sweet potato, cubed
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 2 tbsp hummus
- 1 wholewheat tortilla
- Handful mixed leaves
- 1 hard-boiled egg, quartered
- ½ avocado, sliced
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Place sweet potato on a tray, drizzle with oil and season. Roast for about 30 minutes, stirring halfway, until caramelised and cooked.
- Spread the hummus down the middle of the wrap. Top with the sweet potato, greens, egg and avo.
- Season and roll up.
Broccoli and lentil pilaf
- ¼ cup Greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp tahini
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 60ml vegetable stock
- 200g lentils, drained
- Pomegranate rubies and peanuts, to sprinkle
- Combine yoghurt, tahini and lemon juice. Season.
- Blitz broccoli until it resembles rice. Heat oil on medium and fry onion and garlic for about 5 minutes, until soft. Mix through broccoli and cook for 1 minute. Add stock and lentils and cook for 2 minutes. Stir until heated through and season.
- Sprinkle the pilaf with pomegranate rubies and peanuts. Serve with the dressing.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.