You haven’t really lived until you’ve tasted a homemade spring roll. Try something different this year, and treat your guests with these fruitcake spring rolls.
- 50g Moir’s red glacé cherries, finely chopped
- 150g Safari cake mix
- 125ml sugar
- 30ml butter
- 25g brown sugar
- 50g Safari sultanas
- 5ml cinnamon
- 5ml Moir’s brandy essence
- 125ml water
- 6 sheets phyllo pastry
- ±125 ml melted butter
To make the chocolate chilli dipping sauce:
- 50g milk chocolate, melted
- 45ml cream
- A pinch of chilli
- Mix the cherries, cake mix, sugar, butter, sultanas, cinnamon, essence and water together.
- Cook for about 10 minutes or until thick and syrupy.
- Cut the sheets of phyllo pastry into 6 blocks. Using 3 blocks at a time, brush each block with butter.
- Place on top of each other.
- Place a tablespoon of the mixture in the middle of the top third of the pastry.
- Fold over.
- Fold in the sides and roll up.
- Place on a baking sheet with the unfolded side to the top.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 190°C for 15 mins
- Cut the pastry with a sharp non-serrated knife when taking it out of the oven. Cover the pastry with a thick dry cloth and place a damp cloth on top to avoid drying and cracking.
- To make the chocolate chilli dipping sauce, mix all the required ingredients together and serve with the spring rolls.
Xanet is an award-winning journalist and Living and Loving’s digital editor. She has won numerous awards for her health and wellness articles and was a finalist for the Discovery Journalist of the Year in 2009 and again in 2011 for the Discovery Best Health Consumer Reporting and Feature Writing category. She is responsible for our online presence across social media channels and makes sure our moms have fresh and interesting articles to read every day. Learn more about Xanet Scheepers.