- 1 packet Sasko Quick Treats Chocolate Muffin Mix
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 200ml milk
- 200ml oil
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Mix the oil, milk and eggs together.
- Pour the Sasko Quick Treats Chocolate Muffin Mix into a bowl, add the milk mixture and stir until combined.
- Grease a baking tin and pour in the muffin mix.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely.
Tip: To check if the cake is cooked through, insert a skewer into the centre of the cake, if it comes out clean the cake is done.
Ingredients for icing
- 125g butter (room temperature)
- ¼ cup cocoa
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- Cream the butter until pale yellow and thick. (about 2-3 min)
- Add the cocoa and icing sugar and beat until well combined. (about 1 min)
- Add the milk and beat for a further 2 minutes until you have a thick and creamy butter icing.
- Remove the cooled cake from the cake tin and, using your fingers, crumble into a large bowl.
- Add the icing and gently mix it into the cake crumbs with your fingers or a fork until the cake has absorbed all the icing and you have a dark and rich breadcrumb-like mixture.
- Spoon equal amounts of the cake pop mixture into your hands and roll into ball or egg shapes and place them on a tray.
- Place the cake pops in the freezer to cool for 15 minutes and then store them in the fridge until they are ready to decorate.
Icing to decorate per 10-12 pops
- 200g melted white chocolate
- 1-2 tbsp sunflower oil
200g melted white chocolate
2 cups icing sugar
1/3-1/2 cup warm water
You will also need
- Lollipop sticks (available at baking stores) or small wooden skewers (with the sharp tips cut off)
- Oasis (available at all flower shops) or wax paper
- Food colouring
- Sweets and sprinkles to decorate. For the chicks you’ll need smarties, flower shaped sprinkles and chocolate sprinkles. For the bunnies you’ll need milk bottles, heart-shaped sprinkles and black and pink food colouring to draw the bunnies mouths and eyes. For the eggs you’ll need food colouring, and sprinkles.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave or as per packet instructions, mix together with the oil and colouring. As a second option, you can mix the ingredients with the colouring, icing sugar and add a little warm water until you have a smooth, thick icing.
- Dip the skewer or lollipop stick tip into a little icing and insert it half way into the cake pop.
- Dip the cake pops into the chocolate icing. Do not swirl them in the icing as crumbs will fall into the icing, you can spoon it over instead and let them stand up straight in oasis or lay them on wax paper in the fridge until they are firm.
- If you want to decorate your cake pops, add the sweets, sprinkles and decorations while the icing is still wet.
- When you’re done decorating, place the cake pops in the fridge.
Tip: Add a little vegetable oil to the chocolate to loosen it if it’s too thick. You can do the same with the chocolate, icing sugar and water. If the icing begins to harden, simply put it in the microwave for a few seconds to loosen it.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.