We just love these mocktail recipes from the Capsicum Culinary Studio lecturers. They might be non-alcoholic, but they are equally delicious and just that little bit healthier for you.
(Your daily vitamin C shot!)
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- 1 cup Sprite,soda water or ginger ale
- Sugar (optional)
- Mint leaves
- Ice cubes
- Salt to taste
- Mix the orange juice with lime/lemon juice in a jug.
- Fill two glasses with ice cubes.
- Pour the juice mixture in the glass until half full. Add Sprite/soda/ginger ale and a pinch of salt.
- Lightly crush mint leaves and add to glass.
- Pop in an eco-friendly straw and garnish with a slice of orange.
The Lockdown & Loaded
(A Gin-free G&T)
- 5 cardamom pods
- ½ cucumber
- 1 chamomile teabag
- ½ bunch mint leaves, plus extra to garnish
- 1 strip lemon zest
- 5 cloves
- ½ bunch rosemary
- Tonic water
- Slice of lemon for garnish
- Lightly bash the cardamom pods to bruise them and slice the cucumber. Put them both in a large jug and add the chamomile teabag, mint leaves, lemon zest, cloves and rosemary. Top up with 500ml cold water. Cover and leave to infuse in the fridge for 2-4 hours (the longer the better).
- To serve, strain the infused water and pour about 50ml into each glass. Top up with tonic water and lots of ice. Garnish each one with a slice of lemon.
Barman’s note: Instead of a half a slice of lemon you can also garnish with pomegranate seeds, raspberries or cucumber.
The Pineapple Express
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 2 cups Sprite
- 2tbs rose syrup
- Pineapple flavoured jelly powder
- Lemon or lime juice
- 1 cup crushed ice
- Pineapple wedge for decoration
- Fresh mint
- Rub the rim of 2 tall glasses with lemon/lime juice and dip the glass rims into a saucer of pineapple jelly powder to give them a coating.
- Heap crushed ice into the glasses and slowly pour in the pineapple juice.
- Slowly add the Sprite.
- Over this, add the rose syrup (as it is the heaviest it will settle at the bottom).
- Stir the mixture a little so that the contents get slightly mixed, but make sure each can still be seen separately in layers.
- Decorate the glass with a pineapple wedge and mint leaves, and if you have any on hand, add an eco-friendly straw.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.