Who doesn’t love a piece of carrot cake and a cup of coffee? Whether you’re having friends over this weekend and want to serve something sweet, of you just want to bake for yourself, this easy carrot cake recipe will get the thumbs up from everyone.
*Makes one 23cm cake or two 15cm round cakes
- 320g cake flour
- 10ml baking powder
- 7½ ml baking soda
- 5ml ground cinnamon
- 5ml salt
- 4 medium eggs, beaten
- 332g white sugar
- 310ml vegetable oil
- 280g grated carrots
For the Icing:
- 60ml softened butter
- 800ml icing sugar, sifted
- 150ml smooth cottage cheese
- 5ml vanilla essence
- 5ml lemon juice
- 125ml chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Sift all the dry ingredients together, twice.
- Cream the eggs and sugar until pale light in colour. It should double in volume.
- Add in the oil and mix really well.
- Fold in the egg mixture with the grated carrots and the dry ingredients.
- Place into a lined spring form 23cm round cake tin.
- Bake for 45min.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out on a cooling rack to cool, before icing.
- Cream the butter and then add the sifted icing sugar.
- Add the cream cheese and flavourings and beat until silky smooth.
- Place in a piping bag with a fitted nozzle of your choice and finish by icing the top and adding the chopped nuts.
*Recipe by Capsicum Culinary Studio PE Campus Chef Bernice Warne
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.