There are many paper mâché techniques out there, but we used the simpler balloon version to show you how to make this fun paper mâché turtle .
Make the paste
- No fancy recipe is required, all you need is:
- 1 cup flour and 2 cups water. Mix, and your paste is done.
- You could also use Mod Podge from a craft shop, plus it will give you a glossy finish. The glossy look can also be created by spraying a little spray varnish on after your art work has dried.
You will need:
- A balloon / balloons
- Strips of newspaper
- Paper mâché paste
- 2 toilet rolls
- Paint and brushes
- Funky fabric for the shell
- Mod Podge or spray glaze varnish
- Inflate the balloon to the size you want your turtle to be.
- Place the balloon in a bowl to help keep it steady as you layer.
- Dip a strip of newspaper in the paste and stick/layer onto your balloon.
- Cover only half the balloon with the paper (this will be the turtle’s shell)
- Try to get up to 5 or 6 layers to create a strong mould.
- Let it dry overnight and leave it for a couple of hours in the sun to harden.
- Once dry, pop your balloon and you will be left with the shell.
- Fashion some newspaper into a ball for the turtle’s head and place a balloon over it to help keep its shape.
- Cut the toilet rolls in half to make the turtle’s legs.
- Trace your shell onto a piece of hard cardboard, and cut. That forms the base of the turtle’s body.
- Secure the base to the body and attach the head and feet.
- Add another layer or two of paper mâché over the entire turtle (head, legs and base) to complete the turtle.
- Paint your turtle.
- Cut out hexagonal fabric pieces and attach to the shell using Mod Podge.
- Cover with two more layers of Mod Podge, allowing it to dry between the layers.
Xanet is an award-winning journalist and Living and Loving’s digital editor. She has won numerous awards for her health and wellness articles and was a finalist for the Discovery Journalist of the Year in 2009 and again in 2011 for the Discovery Best Health Consumer Reporting and Feature Writing category. She is responsible for our online presence across social media channels and makes sure our moms have fresh and interesting articles to read every day. Learn more about Xanet Scheepers.