The weather is warmer, the flowers are blooming – all reasons to inspire little ones to get outdoors. By Kirsten Davids
Experts say it’s not only possible to nurture an appreciation for the outdoors in your children, but also entirely necessary. The great outdoors encourages large gestures that lay the foundation for the mastery of small, fine-motor movement.
Get your little one active and outdoors by helping him make this cool mini kite to play with.
You will need
- 2 patterned rolls of wrapping paper
- 4 paper straws (2 per kite)
- 1m string or twine
- 50cm lightweight string
- Decorative ribbon scraps
- Glue stick
- Craft glue
How to make a kite
- Cut each paper to 15cm x 20cm rectangles. Using the glue stick, glue together so the patterns are on the outside.
- With a ruler, measure and mark a spot in the centre at the top and bottom of your paper at the short edges. Measure and mark 7.5cm at the long edges. Use a ruler to connect the four marks and draw lines to make the kite shape.
- Cut out the kite.
- Cut 1m of twine or string and tie one end to a paper straw about two thirds of the way down. Cut the second straw to the length of the short side of the kite.
- On one side of the kite, use a ruler and pencil to draw a cross to connect the corners. Squeeze a line of craft glue along the cross. Move the knot so it is at the centre of the cross before securing the straws onto the glue to form the kite frame. Allow the glue to dry.
- Thread the end of the 50cm string into the bottom of the long straw, and add a bead of glue into the hole to secure. Decorate the string with strips of ribbon.
- The kids can decorate the kites, but don’t add too much weight to the kite, or they might be too heavy to fly.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.