Help your little one create a galaxy playground with these two fun crafts.
Create a robot with your kids
The fun in creating figures like robots is that there’s so much you can use to develop their ‘character’, without it being a costly exercise. We used recycled materials like cereal boxes, tins and egg boxes to make up the body.
It’s super easy to make and will keep your kids amused for hours. Let them use their imagination to build on our simple directions.
To ensure that the robot lasts longer, wrap the box in black tissue paper and then finish them off with black spray paint once you’ve assembled it.
What you will need:
- For the hair: Use a few colourful pipe cleaners glued onto magnets.
- For the body: Any cereal box is fine
- For the arms: Use two kitchen towel inners, pinched and stapled at the top.
- For the legs: Two toilet roll inners.
- For the feet: Two egg boxes, and a craft knife or scissors to cut the cardboard.
Accessories to decorate your robot:
- Google eyes
- Plastic soda bottle tops for ears
- Copper wire for hair
- Plastic rhinestones
- Mini pom poms
- Mirror squares cut in different sizes for the tie
- Glitter cardboard
- Baby formula tin for the head
- A picture of your child for the robot’s face
How to make galaxy dust playdough
What you will need:
- 2 cups of plain flour
- 2 cups (500ml) of water with black and blue food colouring
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tbsp cream of tartar
- 1 cup (250ml) salt
- 2 bottle glitter
- Mix the liquid ingredients in a large pan and begin to heat them. You can use as little or as much food colouring as you like, depending how dark you want the dough to be.
- In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients, and then add to the heating liquids. Stir until the dough gathers and thickens.
- Cook the mixture until it develops a shiny sheen.
- Let it cool slightly and then knead the dough into a proper consistency.
- Store in a plastic container.
For the decoration:
- Once the dough is cooled and ready to use, get your kids involved and create a mini galaxy wonderland.
- For extra sparkle, scatter a generous amount of glitter onto a white sheet of paper, so that your kids can roll the dough in the glitter as much as they like.
- We used a few gem stones and glow-in-the-dark stars (which can also be stuck onto your child’s ceiling) to decorate the playdough.
- Little boys can even add their super hero figures, soldiers or spaceships to the galaxy playground and have fun for hours.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.