Cinemas in South Africa have been closed for the past 5 months due to the COVID-19 lockdown regulations, but you’ll be glad to hear that they’ll finally be opening their doors again this Friday (28 August).
Nu Metro, Ster-Kinekor and other cinemas will be implementing the following safety protocols at all cinemas to keep everyone safe and protected while you enjoy the latest blockbusters:
- Online bookings in advance are encouraged. Not all cinemas will be open all the time. Nu Metro cinemas, for example, will only be open during the weekend until further notice. Visit gobigagain.co.za to check if the cinema closest to you is open before jumping in the car.
- Mask-wearing will be mandatory for all customers and staff, and can only be taken off while eating or drinking inside the cinema auditoria. Kids under the age of 3 don’t have to wear a mask.
- Temperature checks will be done on arrival for all movie-goers at access points to cinema complexes.
- You’ll have direct access to hand sanitizer at cinema access points, and will be required to sanitize before entering the venues.
- Social distancing measures will be implemented for cinema foyers and seating inside cinemas to ensure a physical distance of 1.5m is maintained between people at all times.
- There’ll be limited tickets per show to ensure the required minimum people per theatre or public space within a cinema complex at all times.
- All cinemas will be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected before and after each show.
- All high-touch point areas such as kiosks, self-service terminals, serving counters, door handles, rails, benches, booths and bathroom areas will be disinfected on a regular basis daily.
What’s showing for kids this weekend?
Tabulga: The Little Dragon
Set in the fictional kingdom of Greenland, ‘Tabaluga’ tells the story of a brave, 700-year-old little green dragon who, with the help of beautiful ice princess Lilli, finds his fire, discovers the power of love, and saves the world from a tyrannical snowman and his army of polar bears.
Watch the trailer below:
Xanet is an award-winning journalist and Living and Loving’s digital editor. She has won numerous awards for her health and wellness articles and was a finalist for the Discovery Journalist of the Year in 2009 and again in 2011 for the Discovery Best Health Consumer Reporting and Feature Writing category. She is responsible for our online presence across social media channels and makes sure our moms have fresh and interesting articles to read every day. Learn more about Xanet Scheepers.