Whether you’re planning a unicorn-themed birthday party, or baby shower, these unicorn cupcake cones are super cute and will add to the theme.
For the unicorn
- 150g fondant
- 2 tsp gold dust
- 2 tsp vodka
- 2 tsp sprinkles of your choice
- Black edible gel pen
For the cones
- 12 store-bought ice-cream cones with flat bases
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup castor sugar
- ¼ cup hot water
- ¼ cup sunflower oil
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2/3 cup self-raising flour
- Pinch salt
- 1/3 cup rainbow vermicelli
For the buttercream
- 125g block soft butter
- 250g icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tsp milk
- Food colouring of your choice
How to make the unicorn cupcake cones:
- For the unicorn, shape 24 pea-size balls of fondant into ears and set aside to harden. Shape half a teaspoon into a 10cm rope with the middle thicker and the end thin. Twist the ends around each other, working your way down to create the horn. Repeat with the rest. Set aside to harden overnight.
- Combine the gold dust with the vodka and use a paint brush to paint the ears and horns. Set aside to dry.
- For the cones, preheat oven to 160°C. Make 12 holes in an upside down foil tray and place an ice-cream cone in each.
- Beat together eggs and sugar until creamy. Combine water, oil and vanilla and beat into the egg mixture. Sift the flour and salt and fold in. Divide between the cones. Bake for about 15 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool in tray.
- For the buttercream, beat the butter until pale and creamy. Beat in the icing sugar, a little at a time.
- Beat in vanilla and milk. Divide between as many bowls as colours you prefer, then colour each.
- Spoon each into a piping bag with different nozzle shapes or spoon dollops of different colours in a large piping bag fitted with a star nozzle.
- Pipe buttercream onto the cones and top with sprinkles. Insert a horn and two ears onto each. Draw eyes with the gel pen onto the side of the cones.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.