- 15ml oil
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 250g Button or Portabellini mushrooms, sliced
- 50g butter
- 50g cake flour
- 600ml hot milk
- 2ml Dijon or mild mustard
- 150g + 50g cheddar cheese, grated
- 100g frozen corn
- 100g frozen peas
- 500g cooked white rice
- 1 x 185g can tuna in spring water, drained
- Salt and milled black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion over a low heat for 4-5 minutes or until softened.
- Add the mushrooms and fry for 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a pan over low heat. When the butter has melted, stir in the flour. Cook for one minute. Gradually whisk in the hot milk, whisking until it is smooth. Cook until the mixture thickens. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the mustard and 150g cheese. Stir until combined. Carefully add the reserved onion and mushrooms, corn, peas, cooked rice and tuna. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Spoon into an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle over the remaining 50g grated cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbling and the top is golden and browned.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals.