Create a nightscape as the backdrop for your table by simply cutting out rectangular pieces of black cardboard and yellow blocks for lit windows. Wrapped boxes can also be used on the table to help elevate and serve food items.
Print cartoon strips from the internet and simply cut one A4 sheet in half and roll into a cone. Glue the loose side down and fill the cones with chips or treats, or leave them for guests to fill themselves.
Food toppers are a must for this theme and you should be able to find them at your local party supply store. Choose words that pack a lot of punch.
Most three-year-olds are very fond of good old macaroni and cheese. Your little guests will love our Batteroni and cheese. Serve it in disposable party cups so there’s no mess and no fuss. See the recipe below.
Our Batwings are especially simple to make and are a great finger food. Follow our easy recipe for finger-licking good wings! Click here for the Barbeque Buffalo wings recipe.
Serve fruit juice as a healthy drinks option and mix it with water to reduce the sugar and keep little ones hydrated.
Oreos double up nicely as Batmobile wheels.
Look for sweets and treats in bright colours. Wilson’s toffees, Chomps, jelly and soft sweets all work well – simply take out the colours you want and keep the rest for later.
Batteroni and cheese recipe
(With bacon bits)
- 2 eggs
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
- (save a little for the top)
- 2 tbsp butter or margarine, melted
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked
- Heat the oven to 180°C.
- Whisk the eggs and evaporated milk in a large bowl.
- Add the Cheddar, butter and cayenne. Mix well and stir in the macaroni.
- Pour into a greased 20 x 20cm casserole dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned and heated through.
- Paper plates, straws, serviettes, cups, bowls, celebration flags, cartoon cake stand, food toppers and party bags are available from In Good Company. 011 447 1628
- Batman birthday cake, lightning bolt cupcakes, word biscuits, cartoon petit fours from Annica’s Designer Cakes, 011 326 1526 or 011 326 0937, [email protected], annicas.co.za
Xanet is an award-winning journalist and Living and Loving’s digital editor. She has won numerous awards for her health and wellness articles and was a finalist for the Discovery Journalist of the Year in 2009 and again in 2011 for the Discovery Best Health Consumer Reporting and Feature Writing category. She is responsible for our online presence across social media channels and makes sure our moms have fresh and interesting articles to read every day.