A gone fishing party will be appreciated by the whole family, especially the boys. We have some simple ideas that will help you get the best out of this celebration and create memorable moments for your album.
The Huckleberry Finn look is perfect for this party, so dress your birthday boy in dungarees and decorate a simple hat with fly-fishing flies. Remember to cut off the hooks before stitching them on.
- Fish eggs: Our very easy sago and berry pudding recipe (click here for the recipe), sour jellies, grapes and even blueberries could double up as fish eggs.
- Fish and chips: Little fish biscuits are perfect for this party.
- Fish food: Flakes of dried fruit really fit the profile.
- Catch of the day: Dried mango has an uncanny resemblance to dried haddock.
- Sweet treats: We used shark and frog jellies.
- Party favours: A cheap little tackle or bait box can be bought from Plasticland or a similar store and then filled with ‘worms’ and ‘fish food’.
Use this easy chocolate cake recipe to create fun fish bait buckets. Simply crumble the cake into little pails and decorate with sour jelly worms.
- 3 large eggs
- 175g self-raising flour
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g softened butter
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 40g cocoa powder
- 4 tbsp boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC and grease and line two cake tins.
- Beat together the eggs, flour, caster sugar, butter and baking powder until smooth in a large mixing bowl.
- Put the cocoa in a separate mixing bowl and add the water a little at a time until a stiff paste is formed.
- Add the paste to the cake mixture.
- Pour into the prepared tins, level the top and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cake shrinks away from the sides of the tin and is springy to the touch.
- Leave to cool in the tin, then turn on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Available for purchase: Paper cups, straws and serviettes, cake and treat bags, and bunting. For hire only: Coca-Cola crates, fish-shaped bowls and plates. In Good Company, 011 447 1628.
- Gone fishing birthday cake, worm-bait pales, fish-on-a-line cupcakes, fish cake pops, colourful macaroons, blue and orange meringues, and fish and bobber biscuits. Annica’s Designer Cakes, 011 326 1526 or 011 326 0937, email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit annicas.co.za.
- Hay bales. ProDecor, 011 787 5900 or email@example.com.
Xanet is an award-winning journalist and Living and Loving’s digital editor. She has won numerous awards for her health and wellness articles and was a finalist for the Discovery Journalist of the Year in 2009 and again in 2011 for the Discovery Best Health Consumer Reporting and Feature Writing category. She is responsible for our online presence across social media channels and makes sure our moms have fresh and interesting articles to read every day. Learn more about Xanet Scheepers.