This delicious springbok fillet kebab wrapped in bacon with mushroom butter sauce, and a basil pesto, tomato, mozzarella and bacon braai bread will have everyone licking off their fingers this Heritage Day.
Ingredients for the kebab
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 60g mushrooms, finely chopped
- Coarse salt and pepper, to taste
- 50g salted butter
- 400g springbok fillet, cut into 5cm blocks
- 120g bacon
- 1 large green pepper, cut in chunks
- 1 pineapple, cut in chunks
- Braai marinade (juice of 1 lemon, 80ml olive oil and black pepper)
Ingredients for the braai bread
- 4 slices of white or brown bread
- 30ml butter
- 45ml basil pesto
- 3 bacon rashers, fried
- 1 tomato, cut in slices
- 80g mozzarella cheese, grated
- 30g strong Cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper
Method for the kebab
- Pour oil in a pan and fry the onion until golden brown. Add the mushrooms and cook until they are soft. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and allow to cool slightly.
- When the onion mixture has cooled, stir in the butter and let it cool.
- Prepare the fillet and leave to marinate.
- With a sharp knife, make a cut on the side of the fillet piece to form a pocket. Use a teaspoon to fill the pocket with the onion and mushroom mixture. Wrap the fillet in the bacon and use a kebab-stick to keep the bacon in place. Repeat with all the fillet pieces. Skewer the meat, placing the pepper and pineapple in between.
- Grill over hot coals until medium or medium rare. Let it rest for four to six minutes.
Method for the braai bread
- Spread the slices of bread with butter on both sides. Spread the pesto and place the bacon strips and tomato on the bread.
- Sprinkle a mix of cheeses on the bread. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- While the kebabs are resting, scrape all the coals to one side. Place the braai bread on the grill on low heat to let the cheese melt and bread become golden.
*Recipe by Sarel Jacobus Koortzen from Kgalagadi Lodge restaurant.
Xanet is an award-winning journalist and Living and Loving’s digital editor. She has won numerous awards for her health and wellness articles and was a finalist for the Discovery Journalist of the Year in 2009 and again in 2011 for the Discovery Best Health Consumer Reporting and Feature Writing category. She is responsible for our online presence across social media channels and makes sure our moms have fresh and interesting articles to read every day. Learn more about Xanet Scheepers.