This raspberry and chocolate heart cake is the perfect dessert to make your family feel all loved-up this Valentine’s
- 180g butter, softened
- 180g caster sugar
- 180g self-raising flour
- 30g cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 200ml double cream
- 150g raspberries
- 2 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 100g dark chocolate
- 30g unsalted butter
- Rose petals
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Grease and line the base of two 20cm heart shaped (or round) sandwich tins.
- Combine all the cake ingredients, using an electric whisk, until smooth.
- Spoon into the prepared tins and level the top.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until well risen and shrinking away from the sides.
- Remove from the tins and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the filling, whisk the cream until stiff, then fold in the raspberries and spread over the bottom layer of the cake.
- Place the second sponge on top of the cream and press down.
- For the icing, melt the jam in a saucepan until runny, then spread over the top of the cake.
- Melt the chocolate and butter together in a small bowl set over a pan of simmering water (make sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water), then leave to cool and thicken a little.
- Spread over the top of the cake. Leave to set for 1 hour, then decorate with raspberries and petals and serve with pouring cream.
For more recipe inspiration, download Annabel’s Essential Guide to Feeding Your Baby & Toddler app. Access more than 200 delicious recipes, as well as a host of features to keep your family on track and enjoying meal times.
Download the new version from the App Store now or visit annabelkarmel.com
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.