The story goes that in 1943, a dozen or so hungry guests arrived at Victory Club restaurant in Mexico just beyond the US border. But its maître d’, Ignacio Anaya, was without a chef and had to think out of the box to what to serve them, as the only food items in the kitchen that night were tortillas and cheese. He cut the tortillas in triangles and the cheese was grated over the top. Finally, jalapeño peppers were strewn over the dish, which was heated to produce the melting cheese. And so it was that the first ever nachos were created.
Nachos are undoubtedly a winning dish to serve with a cold beverage on a hot summer’s day. Treat your family with this delicious recipe.
- 1 large bag of corn tortilla chips
- 2 tins All Gold Chilli & Herbs Mexican Style Diced Tomatoes
- 1 jalapeño, sliced crosswise, plus extra for garnish
- ½ cup spring onions, chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a large casserole dish.
- Spread a layer of tortilla chips along the bottom of the dish.
- Spoon some All Gold Chilli & Herbs Mexican Style Tomatoes over the tortilla chips.
- Add some of the chilli, spring onions, sour cream and a handful of grated cheese.
- Continue to layer the ingredients in this way, ending with a layer of tortilla chips covered in grated cheese, sour cream and a sprinkling of chopped chilli and spring onions.
- Bake in the oven until the cheese is melted and bubbling. Serve with the guacamole and All Gold Hot & Spicy Tomato Sauce.
- 1 avocado
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Salt and black pepper
- To make the guacamole, mash up one avocado and mix in the chopped onion.
- Mix in the lemon juice and add salt and black pepper to taste.
Visit www.allgold.co.za for more delicious recipes.
Xanet is an award-winning journalist and Living and Loving’s digital editor. She has won numerous awards for her health and wellness articles and was a finalist for the Discovery Journalist of the Year in 2009 and again in 2011 for the Discovery Best Health Consumer Reporting and Feature Writing category. She is responsible for our online presence across social media channels and makes sure our moms have fresh and interesting articles to read every day. Learn more about Xanet Scheepers.