Chef Lerato Panyane from the Capsicum Culinary Studio team at the Boksburg campus shares a delicious 4-bean soup recipe.
“The 4-bean soup is an easy dish to prepare as we start heading towards winter and is delicious served with garlic bread hot out of the oven. This is one of my go-to recipes when I feel like comfort food.”
*Makes 4 servings
- 1 tin of 4 bean mix in brine
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- ½ green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed ginger and garlic
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 large sweet potato, diced and roasted
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 packet (200g) of baby spinach
- Pinch ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 500ml chicken stock/vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a large stock pot over a medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrots, peppers, ground cloves and turmeric. Let it cook for 8-10 minutes until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the crushed garlic and ginger, diced tomatoes, beans, roasted sweet potatoes, chicken/veg stock, as well as salt and pepper. Stir together and let it come to a low boil. Once boiling, turn down the heat to low and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the spinach and let it cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Serve soup with hot garlic bread.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.