Having a braai next to the pool this weekend? You have to serve these Peppadew pickled onion sosaties. They’ll be a hit.
You will need
- 1 jar Peppadew Pickled Onions
- 500g cubed lamb steaks
- 500g cubed pork steaks
- 12 dried apricots
- Sosatie sticks, soaked in water for six hours
- 15ml vegetable oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 15ml medium curry powder
- 2.5 ml turmeric
- 30ml sugar
- 30ml apricot jam
- 250ml Peppadew Pickled Onions pickling liquid (reserved from the jar)
- 60ml white wine vinegar
- 250ml milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Drain the Peppadew Pickled Onions and reserve the pickling liquid.
- For the marinade, heat the oil in a saucepan and cook the garlic for a minute. Add the curry powder and turmeric and cook, stirring for a minute. Add all the remaining marinade ingredients and bring to a boil, whisking all the time. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside and cool completely.
- Combine the meat, pickled onions and apricots in a Zip Lock bag and pour in the marinade. Seal the Zip Lock bag and refrigerate the meat for two days.
- Thread the meat onto the sosatie sticks, adding two pickled onions and two apricots to each sosatie.
- Grill or braai the sosaties. Serve at once.
Xanet is an award-winning journalist and Living and Loving’s digital editor. She has won numerous awards for her health and wellness articles and was a finalist for the Discovery Journalist of the Year in 2009 and again in 2011 for the Discovery Best Health Consumer Reporting and Feature Writing category. She is responsible for our online presence across social media channels and makes sure our moms have fresh and interesting articles to read every day. Learn more about Xanet Scheepers.