This mini vetkoek recipe is perfect for your garden picnic today, or as a quick light lunch.
- 360 g flour
- 1×10 g sachet yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3/4 cup lukewarm water
- Canola oil for frying
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the water a little at a time, mixing with a wooden spoon until a wet dough forms.
- Knead the dough in the bowl for 5 minutes, until it springs back if you press it with your finger.
- Cover the bowl with cling wrap and allow the dough to rise for 30–45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Heat canola oil in a saucepan on medium heat.
- Knock the dough back and divide into 16 equal-sized vetkoek.
- Gently drop 4 vetkoek into the oil and cover the saucepan with a lid.
- This allows them to partially steam while frying.
- Cook for 2 minutes, or until golden on one side, then turn and cook the other side.
- When cooked through and golden, remove the vetkoek from the oil and drain on kitchen paper.
- Fill with savoury mince – or simply with cheese and jam.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.