Bread doesn’t have to be boring. Spice up your regular French toast with these yummy chocolate and almond French-toast sandwiches. You will be your children’s favourite person!
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 125ml cream
- 5ml vanilla seeds or vanilla extract
- 4 slices Albany D’light Cin ‘O Pop speciality bread
- 60g chocolate spread or chocolate sauce
- 40g flaked almonds or chopped toasted hazelnuts
- 5ml oil
- 20ml butter
- Icing sugar
- Whipped cream or ice cream (optional)
- Place the eggs, egg yolks, cream and vanilla into a wide, shallow mixing bowl and lightly whisk to combine.
- Make two sandwiches with the chocolate spread as the filling, topped with the toasted, flaked almonds.
- Dip each sandwich into the mixture, turning to coat both sides.
- Heat the oil and butter in a pan and fry the sandwiches for 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Drain on a paper towel and transfer to a serving plate.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve immediately with whipped cream or ice cream.
Ingredients for the chocolate sauce
- 100g dark chocolate
- 45ml cream
- Break the chocolate into pieces and melt in a bowl, without stirring, over a pan of simmering water.
- Once melted, stir in the cream. The sauce will thicken as it cools.
Xanet is an award-winning journalist and Living and Loving’s digital editor. She has won numerous awards for her health and wellness articles and was a finalist for the Discovery Journalist of the Year in 2009 and again in 2011 for the Discovery Best Health Consumer Reporting and Feature Writing category. She is responsible for our online presence across social media channels and makes sure our moms have fresh and interesting articles to read every day. Learn more about Xanet Scheepers.