It’s that time of the month again – time to get out the crackers and be creative, or you can give this budget-friendly chicken Parmesan recipe a go. Your family will love you for it.
- 4 slices Sasko Low GI Wholewheat Dumpy Brown Bread
- 50g Parmesan, finely grated, with extra for topping
- 1 extra-large egg
- 2 tbsp milk
- 4 chicken breasts
- 600ml tomato pasta sauce
- 8 slices mozzarella
- 50g Parmesan, grated
- Cooked pasta, tossed in olive oil
- Fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Blitz the bread in a food processor until it is crumbs. Add the Parmesan and blitz again to combine.
- Pour the breadcrumbs into a large bowl.
- Mix the egg and milk together in another large bowl.
- Flatten the chicken breasts by placing them between two pieces of clingfilm and, using a rolling pin or similar object, whack the breasts to flatten them out.
- Dip each breast into the egg mixture on both sides and allow the excess to drip off before coating in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Shallow fry the breasts in batches in a non-stick pan on medium heat until golden brown on both sides, for about eight minutes.
- Pour half of the pasta sauce into a medium-sized baking dish. Place the breasts on top.
- Top each breast with two slices of mozzarella and then pour over the remaining sauce.
- Sprinkle over the remaining Parmesan and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot with pasta and fresh basil.
*Recipe courtesy of Sasko
Xanet is an award-winning journalist and Living and Loving’s digital editor. She has won numerous awards for her health and wellness articles and was a finalist for the Discovery Journalist of the Year in 2009 and again in 2011 for the Discovery Best Health Consumer Reporting and Feature Writing category. She is responsible for our online presence across social media channels and makes sure our moms have fresh and interesting articles to read every day. Learn more about Xanet Scheepers.