Does your family have a sweet tooth? They will enjoy these tasty apple pie toasties.
- 4 Granny Smith apples, sliced into rounds and deseeded
- Butter, for frying
- 160g cream cheese
- 4 tbsp icing sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 8 slices Sasko Plus Rosehip and Honeybush Brown Bread
- 30g raisins
- 4 tbsp demerara sugar (you can also use brown sugar)
- 80g butter, softened
- Whipped cream or ice cream, to serve
- Fry the apple slices in batches in a non-stick pan or heated sandwich/panini press maker in a little butter until just browned and slightly softened.
- Set aside to cool and clean the sandwich/panini press or frying pan.
- Mix the cream cheese, icing sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl until well combined.
- Smear each slice of bread with equal amounts of the cinnamon cream cheese
- Top half of the slices of bread with some of the raisins.
- Place a layer of apple slices on top of the raisins.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp of demerara sugar over the apple and cover with another layer of apple.
- Seal each sandwich with the remaining slices of bread (with the cinnamon-cream cheese side facing down.)
- Butter both sides of the sandwiches.
- Toast the sandwiches in your sandwich/panini press or fry in a non-stick frying pan, turning once, until crisp and toasted.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
Xanet is an award-winning journalist and Living and Loving’s digital editor. She has won numerous awards for her health and wellness articles and was a finalist for the Discovery Journalist of the Year in 2009 and again in 2011 for the Discovery Best Health Consumer Reporting and Feature Writing category. She is responsible for our online presence across social media channels and makes sure our moms have fresh and interesting articles to read every day. Learn more about Xanet Scheepers.