Waffles are so diverse. Check out these delicious recipes that are perfect for breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner or dessert.
Corn and buttermilk waffles topped with shaved avocado and avo cream
For the waffles
- 1 cup self-raising fluor
- 1 cup finely ground cornmeal/polenta
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cups fresh or thawed frozen sweetcorn kernels
- 1 spring onion, diced
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp avocado oil (or olive oil) to brush the waffle iron
For the avo cream
- 2 avocados, pitted
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 5-10 splashes sriracha chilli sauce or Tabasco sauce, to taste
For the topping
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and shaved using a veggie peeler
- 1 punnet grape tomatoes, quartered
- Poached egg (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper.
- Add the sweetcorn and spring onion to the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the eggs and milk. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix with a spoon until just combined.
- Heat the waffle iron as per the instructions.
- Use a 1/3 cup measure and scoop the corn cake batter into the waffle iron, leaving about an inch between each waffle. Cook until the waffles are golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the corn cakes with a spatula and place on a plate or baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- To make the avo cream, whizz all the ingredients to a smooth cream in a mini food processor or with a stick blender. Add a tablespoon of cold water if necessary.
- To assemble the waffles, add the avocado shavings and tomatoes over the top. Top each with a poached egg if desired.
- Serve garnished with freshly ground black pepper and micro herbs.
French toast ‘Braaibroodjie’ waffles
All we can say is yummy!
Carrot cake waffles
The kids will love this delicious treat.
Waffles with almond-crusted chicken and barbeque mayonnaise
These waffles are perfect for a light Sunday night dinner.
Berry granola waffles with Greek yoghurt and blueberries
These are super easy to make and a yummy breakfast treat for the kids.
Xanet is an award-winning journalist and Living and Loving’s digital editor. She has won numerous awards for her health and wellness articles and was a finalist for the Discovery Journalist of the Year in 2009 and again in 2011 for the Discovery Best Health Consumer Reporting and Feature Writing category. She is responsible for our online presence across social media channels and makes sure our moms have fresh and interesting articles to read every day. Learn more about Xanet Scheepers.