With most families receiving a reduced income, and some no income at all due to the lockdown, budgeting for food has become a top priority in many South African households. If you’re pinching your pennies, try these delicious budget meals you can make for under R100.
Corned beef and vegetable bake
Packed full of greens, this hearty and wholesome bake is made for sharing with loved ones.
- 2 potatoes, cut into small cubes
- Salt to taste
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- Sunflower oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- Half a bunch of spinach, chopped
- 1 x 300g can Bull Brand Corned Meat, cut into cubes
- 1 x 410g can tomato and onion mix
- 50g tomato paste
- 1ml (¼ t) ground nutmeg
- Pepper to taste
- 4 baby marrows, sliced
- 1 green or red pepper, diced
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 125ml (½ C) breadcrumbs
- 125ml (½ C) cheddar cheese, grated
- Cook the potato cubes in lightly salted water until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Fry the onion and carrot in a little heated oil until soft. Add the garlic and spinach and stir-fry until the spinach is soft. Add the Bull Brand Corned Meat, tomato and onion mix and tomato paste, and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the nutmeg and season with salt and pepper to taste then spoon into a greased oven-safe dish.
- Heat a little oil in a pan and add the potato cubes, baby marrow and diced red or green pepper and fry until soft. Add the spring onion and fry briefly then spoon all the vegetables on top of the beef mixture.
- Combine the breadcrumbs and cheese and sprinkle over the vegetables.
- Place the dish in a preheated oven at 180°C and bake until the vegetable topping is crisp and slightly browned.
Cheesy Bull Brand bake
Quick and easy, this all-in-one meal gives you time to catch your breath or see to the kids, while it’s cooking in the oven.
- 6 slices bread, halved
- 1-2 onions, sliced thinly
- 2 red and green peppers, diced
- 125ml (½ cup) mushrooms or baby marrows, sliced
- Sunflower or olive oil
- 1 x 300g can Bull Brand Corned Meat, cubed
- 250ml (1 cup) grated cheddar or feta cheese chunks
- 3 extra-large eggs
- 250ml (1 cup) milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Line a greased oven dish with the bread and set aside.
- Fry the vegetables in oil until soft. Stir in the Bull Brand Corned Meat and cheese and spoon on top of the bread.
- Beat the eggs and milk together, season with salt and pepper and pour over the filling.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 40 minutes or until cooked through and then serve with a tomato salad.
Bull Brand Breakfast Bake
This is a local version of the popular British toad-in-a hole recipe (sausages baked in an egg batter). It’s the perfect sharing breakfast, suitable for the whole family.
- 4 x 250ml (4 cups) cake flour
- 10ml (2 tsp) salt
- 6 eggs
- 1 liter (4 cups) milk
- 30ml (2 tbs) parsley, chopped
- Sunflower or olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 2 x 300g cans Bull Brand Corned Meat, sliced into thick strips
- First make the batter: place the flour, salt, eggs, milk and parsley in a bowl and beat until smooth and without any lumps. Set aside to stand for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a little oil in a large saucepan and add the onions, garlic and peppers and fry until soft. Add the can of Bull Brand Corned Meat and fry until slightly browned.
- Place the meat mixture in a greased oven-proof dish and pour over the batter.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C for about 45 minutes, or until the batter is puffed and a knife, when inserted into the batter, comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and serve with a tomato smoortjie.
Visit www.bullbrand.co.za for more delicious recipes.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.