If the cabin fever is starting to set in, get the family together for a Sunday lunch garden picnic. Throw together these delicious finger snacks, throw a blanket on the lawn and play some fun outdoor games with the kids.
Barbecue buffalo wings
- 18 chicken wings
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
For the sauce
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- ½ cup honey
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Wash, dry, and season the wings with the salt, garlic, paprika and cayenne.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Place the wings in a single layer on a greased pan, and place in the oven. Gently brush the wings with a little olive oil.
- Cook the wings for 35-40 minutes, depending on the size of the wings, turning once.
- While they are cooking, make the sauce by mixing the ingredients together.
- When the wings are golden, carefully dip them in the sauce, and place them back in the oven for another 5-10 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbling.
Bruschetta is an Italian starter made up of grilled slices of bread covered in delicious fresh toppings.
*Makes approximately 32
- 1 packet Sasko Plain White Bread Rolls
- Olive oil, to drizzle
For the topping
- 4 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar or Balsamic vinegar
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 20 fresh mint leaves, chopped
- Place all the topping ingredients except for the mint into a bowl and stir to combine. Taste the mixture and add a little more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Cover and allow to sit for 10 minutes for the flavours to develop.
- Preheat the grill.
- Cut the rolls into rounds, approximately 1cm thick, and place them on a baking tray.
- Drizzle with olive oil and grill on both sides until golden brown.
- Add the mint to the tomato mixture and stir to combine.
- Place tablespoons of the tomato mixture on each toasted bread round, drizzle with a little extra olive oil, and serve.
Apple pie toasties
- 4 Granny Smith apples, sliced into rounds and deseeded
- 80g butter, softened, plus extra for frying
- 160g cream cheese
- 4 tbsp icing sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 8 slices Sasko Plus Rosehip and Honeybush Brown Bread
- 30g raisins
- 4 tbsp demerara sugar or brown sugar
- Whipped cream or ice cream, to serve
Either use a non-stick frying pan or a sandwich/panini press to make these.
- Fry the apple slices in batches in a non-stick pan with a little butter, or grill in your sandwich or panini press, until just browned and slightly softened.
- Set aside to cool and clean the sandwich/panini press or frying pan.
- Mix the cream cheese, icing sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl until well combined.
- Smear each slice of the bread with equal amounts of the cinnamon and cream cheese mixture.
- Top half of the slices of bread with a sprinkling of raisins.
- Place a layer of apple slices on top of the raisins.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp demerara sugar over the apples and cover with another layer of apples.
- Seal each sandwich with the remaining slices of bread (with the cinnamon and cream cheese side facing down).
- Butter both sides of the sandwiches.
- Toast in your sandwich/panini press or fry in a non-stick frying pan, turning once, until crisp and toasted.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
Mini sweet chilli chicken kebabs
Sweet and sticky, these mini chicken and pineapple kebabs are easy to prepare. Their small size makes them an ideal party snack at a braai.
Who doesn’t love bite-sized vetkoek? Your guests will love snacking on this South African favourite.
For something a little different and bursting with flavour, try these delicious chicken-filled pastrie.
Black olive and Peppadew Piquanté Pepper cheese rolls
These yummy treats will be a hit!
Pineapple salsa with sweet potato crisps
Don’t have time to make your own sweet potato crisps? Simply get a packet of Dip It Nachos Chips from Woolworths. Works just as well!
- 1 orange or plain sweet potato
- ½ tbsp olive oil
For the salsa
- 1 pineapple, cored and cubed
- ¼ red onion, finely chopped
- Handful coriander, finely chopped
- Handful cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 avocado, cubed
- ½ cucumber, cubed
- ½ chilli, finely chopped (optional)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Preheat oven to 100°C. Line baking trays with baking paper. Slice the sweet potatoes as thin as possible (a mandolin works best). Mix through the oil.
- Place on the prepared trays, making sure they don’t overlap. Bake for about 2 hours. Season with salt and pepper. Allow to cool.
- For the salsa, combine all the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with the crisps.
Who doesn’t love these yummy treats?
Sticky Moroccan lamb riblets
You have to try these sticky Moroccan lamb riblets. Lamb a little too rich for your pocket? No problem. This delicious recipe can also be used for chicken or pork.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.